Wednesday, July 22

Two Years & Counting

Two years ago today I was sitting by the pool at my apartment complex in Duluth asking my roommate at the time, Adrian, why in the world I had gotten myself into this mess. What had possessed me to listen to my little brother’s coach and his wife about meeting their oldest son? Why on earth did I invite them over to my 1-week old apartment? Basking in the sun, finding courage at the bottom of the cold cooler, I finally was as ready as I would be for the blind date that awaited me. I’ll never forget that night: mom came over early to make low country boil, I tried to help her but couldn’t because I had to pace away my nervousness, I couldn’t think of what I wanted to wear, so I stuck with the barefoot-comfy look – my safe haven. When the Hunt’s arrived I ducked out onto the patio to try and hide… if they don’t see me then I’m not here… Slowly I picked up my butterflies and reentered the apartment to find our guests. That moment is when I met Brandon Hunt for the first time (this is where they say, “and the rest is history.)

Reflecting on that night always brings back butterflies: the first minute, the conversation on the patio that never seemed awkward, the family standing around watching us like we were animals at the zoo, him staying so long that he slept on the couch, the next morning when Adrian and I couldn’t decide whether to let him sleep or wake him up for a Waffle House run, and what he said to me when we dropped him off at his apartment after breakfast… “It was a pleasure meeting you Stephanie, and I’ll see you again soon.” That STILL makes my stomach turn thinking about it.

Two years later, we’ve moved in together, are planning a life together and couldn’t be happier! If it wasn’t for Frontera and Debra Hunt, we’d never be here… so thanks Deb! :)

I am amazed at the relationship that we have and that we continue to build each day. Brandon is my rock, my personal comedian, my protection, my shoulder to cry on, my partner in crime, my best friend, my life, my heart, my everything… Why I’m so blessed, I’ll never know, but I thank God everyday for giving me the courage that night two years ago to be myself and for every moment that I have with Brandon.

"I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
For all my life

Me and you and you and me
No matter how they toss the dice, it has to be
The only one for me is you, and you for me
So happy together"
~ The Turtles

No comments:

Post a Comment