Friday, May 15

Keeping the Inner “Fat Kid” Quiet

Let me start by saying that I’m not calling myself fat. I don’t need therapy (well, not for that at least). Fat kid is a term I heard in a movie while in college. If I’m not mistaken, it was a line by Jack Black – the Ultimate Fat Kid. Fat kid, to me, is more of a mindset rather than a body type. If you weigh 90 pounds, but are craving a Big Mac and a large fry, then you are a Fat Kid; if you weigh 300 pounds and are dying for a piece of chocolate cake, then you are a Fat Kid. The thing is this; Fat Kidism does not discriminate. It will hit anyone anytime anywhere.

I’ve been battling my inner Fat Kid for a couple of weeks now. I started slow by changing my eating habits (intake of calories around 1500 per day) and drinking 8 glasses of water a day. It was hard at first: I was hungry when the meal was over, I craved fatty foods, and I wanted my McDonald’s Happy Meal! Now, just three weeks later, I can eat less and be more satisfied all while NOT craving the Happy Meal. I started back to my recumbent bike riding as well. Each morning I get up and ride for 4 – 5 miles which helps me wake up and get energized for the day. It is amazing how much better you feel after just a 30-minute workout!

I’m happy to report that by just silencing the inner Fat Kid most of the time (I’ll still splurge if it is a good occasion), I’m already down 11 pounds and I haven’t even weighed in this week! If that isn’t motivation, then I don’t know what is!

Here’s to the Fat Kid in you. Embrace it, celebrate it, but make sure that it keeps quiet sometimes too!

No comments:

Post a Comment